11/6/11

Improved Carinda Shuttle Scenes and Model

I've started replacing the old Carinda shuttle model with our new Outrider model. Here are before-and-after shots of the revised scenes:

Scene H301a (Yane and Ric Carinda (represented by the Stormtroopers on the speederbikes) seeing Ryke Thale's Jedi Starfighter crash on Dantooine:


Scene H308b (Yane leaving an injured Ryke behind to check on her father):


Scene M399 (Carinda shuttle flying past the camera on its way to Alderaan):


There are only 2 scenes left that need to be retrofitted, but one scene keeps crashing on me and I think I'm going to completely change the other scene because I think I can make it look much better. I'll post those before-and-after shots after I finish them.

In addition to retrofitting our animatic with the new Carinda shuttle model, I finished texture mapping the model that we're going to use for the shuttle interior. Here are before-and-after comparisons:

As I mentioned in a previous post, since the Outrider looks like an earlier version of the Millennium Falcon, we're going to use the Millennium Falcon's interior for our shuttle interior.

As you can see from the "before" image (above left), the model was beautiful but it needed to be completely texture mapped. After many long hours, we now have the "after" image (above right) which looks a lot more photorealistic.

Here are more before-and-after comparisons, from different camera angles:





This is only a preliminary texture mapping -- as I go through and retrofit each scene in the shuttle interior, I'll have to improve the texture maps and probably add set dressing after I know which parts of the shuttle have close-ups.

Nevertheless, I think this model for the shuttle interior looks much more realistic than our old model:

That just looks CG and fake to me, even though I spent hundreds of hours texture-mapping and adding set dressing to that model. Oh well, as long as our final movie looks as good as we can possibly make it, that's all that matters.

Later,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment